Because Archway Apothecary is different than the big-name drug stores you find on almost every corner of main intersections located on the Northshore and in Metro New Orleans, some of our patients (or would-be patients) incorrectly assume we aren’t regulated like traditional pharmacies. This assumption couldn’t be further from the truth!
Keep reading to learn how compounding pharmacies like ours are regulated, operated by licensed pharmacists, and provide safe alternatives to commercially-available prescription medications that some patients – both human and animals such as pets – may not be able to tolerate for a variety of medical reasons.
How Are Compounding Pharmacies Regulated?
Compounding pharmacies like ours aren’t regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which regulates commercial pharmaceuticals, but rather by state boards of pharmacies. As a Southeastern Louisiana compounding pharmacy, that means we’re regulated by the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy.
This important state organization makes sure that we – and our local compounding pharmacy competitors – follow prescribing doctors’ orders, and that our compounds are created by licensed pharmacists who have the same type of education and licensing as the pharmacists you see behind the pharmacy counters at traditional drug stores.
In fact, compounding pharmacies have more education than traditional pharmacists. We are sent at least yearly for compounding training.
Additionally, the federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) oversees any compounding activities we perform that use controlled substances. Examples of such compounds include those with narcotics like hydrocodone as well as drugs used for anxiety and sleep disorders such as insomnia.
Rest assured, compounding isn’t some form of voodoo that’s done behind closed doors. It’s a completely safe, regulated pharmaceutical process that many people throughout the country, including several right here on the Northshore and in Metro New Orleans, rely on every month to get prescription medications that meet their unique medical needs.
We are one of Louisiana’s only Sterile Compounding Facilities. All aseptic manipulations are performed in our state-of-the-art facility that is a Class 100 environment with an ISO Class 7/5 Clean Room.
Why Would You Choose Compounding Over a Commercially Available Prescription Drug?
There are a variety of medical reasons why our patients on the Northshore and Metro New Orleans choose compounding versus traditional prescription pharmaceuticals. Some of these reasons include:
- Commercially available prescription medications are typically created as a one-size-fits-all solution for the masses, whereas a patient may have specific medical needs that can only be addressed when a unique compound is made exactly to his or her prescribing doctor’s specifications
- Compounding allows our licensed pharmacists to create prescriptions in the specific strengths and dosages you need, which may not be commercially available
- With compounding, we’re able to flavor medications to make them easy to go down a child or pet’s mouth (without Mary Poppins’ spoonful of sugar)
- Some commercially available prescriptions contain non-essential ingredients that certain patients may be allergic to, including ingredients that contain lactose, gluten, corn, peanuts and unnecessary dyes
- Compounding allows us to create your medication in the format you need it in, which is very helpful for patients who have special medication needs. For example, those who can’t swallow large pills, have G-tubes, or are autistic.
Archway Apothecary’s Specific Pharmaceutical Memberships and Affiliations
In addition to meeting state and federal regulations for compounding, we’re also members or otherwise affiliated with several national and state compounding and pharmaceutical organizations. These include:
- The International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists (IACP)
- The Professional Compounding Centers of America (PCCA)
- The American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
- The Louisiana Pharmacists Association (LPA)
You Can Trust Us For Your or Your Family’s Compounding Needs
Now that you know more about our oversight and regulation process, you can trust Archway Apothecary for any compounding needs that you or your loved ones (including your pets!) may need. To learn more about our process or to reach out to us, call us Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm at (985) 801-0800 or click or tap here to fill out our contact form.