While men and women can experience a hormone imbalance at any point in their lives, it’s typically diagnosed once a person has reached middle age.
But do you know all the symptoms of a hormone imbalance?
As compounding pharmacists,we’re familiar with the symptoms of hormonal imbalances. We have helped many Northshore and New Orleans men and women with bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT), which can be more beneficial and have fewer side effects than synthetic hormone replacement therapy.
Keep reading to learn about BHRT and how to recognize the signs that you may need hormone replacement therapy.
Signs of Hormonal Imbalances in Men
If you go by what you see on TV and in ads, you’d likely think that the most common symptoms of low testosterone in men is a low sex drive and/or erectile dysfunction (ED). But there are many more symptoms of low testosterone in men that you should be aware of. These include:
- Chronic fatigue, meaning you always feel tired even though you’ve had plenty of rest and sleep
- A loss of muscle mass, which may be unexplained and unexpected, especially if you’re regularly working out at the gym
- Increased body fat that doesn’t seem to make sense because you’re eating a healthy diet
- Decreased bone mass, often detected only if you break a bone
- Mood changes, which may include experiencing depression
- Lower mental capacity, such as having a harder time focusing than usual, or having difficulties making decisions
- Feeling more irritable, especially at things that usually don’t bother you
- Experiencing “brain fog” and other signs of mental confusion
Signs of Hormonal Imbalances in Women
Unlike men, who usually only experience a decrease in hormones, women can experience either an increase or decrease in estrogen and progesterone. Either type of hormonal imbalance may result in you feeling the following symptoms:
- Fatigue, which persists even when you get an appropriate amount of quality sleep every night
- Night sweats – when you find yourself sweating through the night
- Hot flashes, which come on in an instant and can make you feel hot and sweaty anytime, anywhere, regardless of the temperature
- Decreased libido, especially if it is accompanied by any of the other signs of hormonal imbalances in women
- Unexplained weight gain, which typically frustrates women who are eating and exercising appropriately
- Insomnia, which is a persistent interruption in your sleep patterns and may include either not being able to fall asleep, or not being able to stay asleep for a healthy amount of time
- Becoming easily irritated, especially at things that didn’t bother you in the past
- Mental health diagnoses, such as anxiety or depression
- An unexplained feeling of coldness in your hands and/or feet
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Can Help Both Men and Women with Hormonal Imbalances
Many doctors who prescribe hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for men and women with hormonal imbalances choose synthetic hormone options. However, these artificial hormones aren’t always properly absorbed by everyone who takes them, and in some cases, can leave users with unwanted and unpleasant side effects.
At our compounding pharmacy, we offer bioidentical hormone replacement therapy to Northshore and New Orleans men and women. Compounding allows us to customize the amount of hormones as well as the type of application, which includes creams, sublingual and oral medications, drops, injections, suppositories, and topical medications. This practice ensures that you only get what your doctor feels you need – not a mass-produced dosage of synthetic hormones that may cause complications.
Contact Us to Learn More About BHRT
Whether you already know you have a hormonal imbalance, or you think you do, it’s wise to reach out to us to discuss BHRT.
While some doctors are familiar with the process of prescribing them, others aren’t. We’re more than happy to discuss BHRT with both patients and doctors.
To reach us, call us Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm at (985) 801-0800 or fill out our online contact form.